See The Temptations At The New York State Fair
Acting Director Troy Waffner announced. The performance is on the second of two Senior Days, which feature free admission for people age 60 and older.
“It’s a pleasure to be able to bring back to Chevy Court one of the greatest vocal groups of all time. From the classic Motown hits of the 60’s to the new music they’ve just recorded, this group covers nearly the entire history of rock n’ roll and soul. I urge fans of any age and any style of music to come see what greatness sounds like,” said Waffner.
It’s the ninth appearance at the Fair for The Temptations, with the last appearance coming in 2006.
For nearly 60 years, The Temptations have reigned as one of popular music's most beloved and successful groups worldwide, lauded by Billboard in 2017 as the #1 R&B Artist of All Time. The Temptations rose to the top of the charts with 16 #1 R&B albums, and 43 Top Ten R&B hit songs across four decades, including 14 #1 singles. Their hits "My Girl," "Ain't Too Proud To Beg," and "Get Ready" are timeless, iconic classics, while the group's later forays into funk and psychedelia, including "Cloud Nine" and "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone," are just as influential. The group is one of Rolling Stone's “100 Greatest Artists of All Time.”
The Temptations join the most diverse lineup in New York State Fair history, which includes:
- Blondie, at 8 p.m. Wednesday, August 22
- Dave Mason & Steve Cropper, at 2 p.m. Thursday, August 23
- Ravyn Lenae, at 2 p.m. Friday, August 24
- Ludacris, at 8 p.m. Friday, August 24
- LIVE, at 2 p.m. Saturday, August 25
- Counting Crows, at 8 p.m. Saturday, August 25
- Jackyl, at 2 p.m. Sunday, August 26
- Hunter Hayes, at 8 p.m. Sunday, August 26
- Peter Noone of Herman’s Hermits, at 2 p.m. Monday, August 27
- Smokey Robinson, at 8 p.m. Monday, August 27
- Dickey Betts, at 8 p.m. Tuesday, August 28
- Lil Yachty, at 8 p.m. Wednesday, August 29
- Hanson, at 8 p.m. Thursday, August 30
- Big & Rich with Cowboy Troy, at 8 p.m. Friday, August 31
- Collective Soul, at 2 p.n. Saturday, September 1
- A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie, at 8 p.m. Sunday, September 2
- Maren Morris, at 1 p.m. Monday, September 3
- Niall Horan, at 6 p.m. Monday, September 3
The Temptations were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1989, into the Vocal Group Hall of Fame in 1999, and into the Rhythm & Blues Music Hall of Fame in 2013, the same year they were honored with the Recording Academy's Lifetime Achievement Grammy Award. Winner of four Grammy Awards, they received Motown's first-ever Grammy in 1969 for "Cloud Nine." The Temptations are Otis Williams, Ron Tyson, Terry Weeks, Larry Braggs, and Willie Greene.