$5 Rabies Vaccinations In Herkimer County
A rabid raccoon fought with an unvaccinated family dog in Frankfort. The dog now needs to quarantined for six months. We hope it will be ok.
Pet owners need to know that New York State law requires all dogs, cats, and domesticated ferrets to be vaccinated against rabies. If an unvaccinated pet or 1 that's overdue on its vaccination comes in contact with a rabid or suspected rabid animal, the pet must be destroyed or strictly quarantined for six months.
Health officials are reminding Herkimer County residents that rabies is endemic in Herkimer County and surrounding counties, and all bites or possible exposures must be reported to the local health department. [WKTV]
- All cats, dogs, and ferrets three months or older must be vaccinated even if they stay indoors
- Every dog and cat needs two rabies vaccinations one year apart then one every three years
- Bring proof of the pet’s vaccination history to receive a three-year certificate
- Ferrets must be vaccinated every year
- Dogs should be on a leash, cats and ferrets should be in a carrier or pillowcase
- NO EXAMS WILL BE GIVEN, Please help to move the clinic along, Thank you.
- Owners are responsible to clean up after their animals, supplies are provided.
- A $5.00 donation per pet is suggested to defray costs, Thank you.