Urgent Need For Blood Donations In CNY
The American Red Cross has issued an emergency call to blood donors of all types.
There is an emergency need for blood and blood products right now in CNY, and your donation is urgently needed. The Red Cross has less than a three-day supply of most blood types and less than a two-day supply of type O blood.
- Every two seconds, someone in the United States needs blood.
- The Red Cross provides approximately 45% of the nation's blood supply.
- 1 blood donation can save up to 3 lives.
- Blood donations are essential for surgeries, cancer treatment, chronic illnesses, and traumatic injuries.
- Less than 38% of the population is eligible to give blood or platelets.
- Blood and blood platelets cannot be manufactured; it can only come from donors.
- Approximately 36,000 units of red blood cells are needed every day in the U.S.
- Nearly 7,000 units of platelets and 10,000 units of plasma are needed daily.
- The blood type most often requested by hospitals is type O.
- A single car accident victim can require as many as 100 pints of blood.
How often can you donate blood? You must wait for at least eight weeks (56 days) between donations of whole blood and 16 weeks (112 days) between Power Red donations. Platelet apheresis donors may give every 7 days up to 24 times per year. Regulations are different for those giving blood for themselves (autologous donors).
Cindy McMullen donates blood every 56 days, and if you're able, you should too! You can make an appointment to donate at redcrossblood.org or by calling 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).