Taxes Questions ~ Call The IRS
Have questions about your taxes? You might as well get your answers from the IRS.
There are restrictions if you're calling for someone who is deceased or another taxpayer. If you're calling about your account then you need to have the following information ready before you make that call:
- Social Security cards and birth dates for those who are on the return you are calling about
- An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) letter if you don’t have a Social Security number (SSN)
- Filing status – Single, Head of Household, Married Filing Joint or Married Filing Separate
- Your prior-year tax return. We may need to verify your identity before answering certain questions
- A copy of the tax return you’re calling about
Customer service representatives are available Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time, unless otherwise noted.
People with hearing impairments:
800-829-4059 (TDD) See Tax Topic 102.
Exempt organizations, retirement plan administrators, and government:
877-829-5500 (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. local time)
You can also make an appointment at (315) 793-1952 for the Utica IRS office at 10 Broad St.
You have a few extra days to file your 2016 tax returns this year because April 15th is on a Saturday and Emancipation Day will be observed in Washington D.C. that Monday, which changes the federal and state deadline to Tuesday, April 18.