Now that the weather is starting to turn in Central NY, many of us don't like the idea of turning the heat on just yet, so we might resort to space heaters first. Or maybe you use yours at work for that extra tad of warmth under your desk. Either way, and firefighters everywhere advise you to plug it directly into the wall by it's own power cable and never use an extension cord or power strip.

Thai 2 round power pins plug with earth pin plugging in compatible extension cord

Space heaters simply produce too much wattage of energy for power strips and extension cords to safely handle, melting them and potentially torching your house also. In fact, space heater fires are the second most leading cause for house fires, so after you've plugged yours in properly, be sure that the heater is well away from anything flammable.

More From 96.1 The Eagle