There's no end in sight for the deep freeze in CNY. Do you know what to to do if you see pets left out in the frigid temperatures

Cold weather can be deadly for pets. As the temperature plummets in CNY, the Humane Society sees an increase in the number of complaints about dogs and cats who have been left outside with no food or shelter.

YOU need to tell local law enforcement agencies when you see pets left outside in extreme temperatures, especially without food and shelter, they're at risk of hypothermia, frostbite and even death.

Examples of animal cruelty are: inadequate or improper shelter or care, animals kept in filthy or unsanitary living conditions, animal fighting, abandonment, performing unauthorized surgery on an animal, maiming or killing of an animal, failure to provide food, drink or medical treatment, running a possible puppy mill or breeding animals, horses or farm animals improperly or not confined, animal hoarding, and animal stealing. If you believe an animal is in danger, call 9-1-1 immediately, and notify your local authorities. Neglect is a crime. Here are a few ways to give these pets a voice:

  • Report what you see: Take note of the date, time, exact location and the type of animal(s) involved and write down as many details as possible about the situation. Video and photographic documentation of the animal, the location, the surrounding area, etc. (even a cell phone photo/video) will help support your case.
  • Contact your local animal control agency or county sheriff's office and present your complaint and evidence. Take detailed notes regarding whom you speak with and when. Follow up in a few days if the situation has not changed.
  • Call The HSUS. They're not a law-enforcement agency, but they can provide expert counsel.
  • If you have pets, follow their advice for keeping them safe in cold weather.

The Central New York SPCA Cruelty Investigation team depends on your for information concerning suspected animal cruelty. They can be reached at 315-454-4479. You can also call your local police department or dial 911.

Bonus Video:

More From 96.1 The Eagle