Beware Of Freezing Rain While Driving In CNY
Rain and freezing rain will develop across the area mid-way through the afternoon, impacting travel for some locations. A glaze of ice will be possible on untreated roads/sidewalks.
...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TODAY TO
7 AM EST THURSDAY...
* WHAT...Freezing rain expected. Total ice accumulations of less than one tenth of an inch for most locations. Locally one to two tenths of an inch of ice for Northern Oneida County and the higher elevations of the Catskills.
* WHERE...Delaware, Otsego, and Oneida counties.
* WHEN...From noon today to 7 AM EST Thursday.
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...The hazardous conditions could impact the evening commute.
- Rain will move in from west to east, midday through the afternoon.
- Temperatures will be near freezing at first, especially at higher elevations.
- Temperatures warm above freezing by evening along/west of I-81, but freezing rain will still be possible east of I-81 mainly at higher elevations into tonight.
Rain is expected again Thursday night into Friday before cooler weather and lake effect snow into Saturday.
Extended NWS Forcast:
Today: Rain or freezing rain. High near 34. East wind 5 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total daytime ice accumulation of less than a 0.1 of an inch possible.
Tonight: Rain, possibly mixed with freezing rain, becoming all rain after 7pm. Patchy fog before midnight, then patchy fog after 4am. Low around 34. East wind 5 to 9 mph becoming light southeast after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Little or no ice accumulation expected.
Thursday: A slight chance of showers before 7am, then a chance of showers after 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 42. East wind 5 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Thursday Night: Rain and possibly a thunderstorm. Low around 39. Southeast wind 8 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three-quarters of an inch possible.
Friday: Rain showers likely before 1pm, then a chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 44. West wind 13 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Friday Night: Snow showers. Low around 16. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
Saturday: Partly sunny, with a high near 24.
Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 11.
Sunday: Partly sunny, with a high near 29.
Sunday Night: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 18. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
Monday: A chance of snow showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 30. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Monday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 13.
Tuesday: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 29. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
Winter Weather Preparation:
- Keep your cell phone charged and make sure you know where your backup power supply is.
- Make sure all your flashlights have fresh batteries.
- Fill your gas tank. You can use your car to keep warm and recharge devices.
- Have some food available that you don’t need to cook.
- Download the Eagle App You’ll receive local alerts, weather reports and more with push notifications.