Therapy Dogs Needed In CNY
Is your dog therapy dog material? See if your dog qualifies for free therapy dog training.
The Cornell Companions Oneida County Volunteer Program is recruiting therapy dogs across CNY. These therapy dogs will provide reading education assistance to help improve children's literacy skills. The dogs bring a unique approach to a classic concept: reading with a dog. The Program trains dogs and their owners for volunteer work, including visits to nursing homes, special needs centers, child care centers, and family day care homes.
A few of the qualifications include:
• You have an interest in and knowledge of dogs.
• You enjoy working with children, elderly and those with special needs.
• You have time for program activities.
Volunteers complete the following requirements:
- Complete the required Dog therapy Program
- Participate in additional recommended training opportunities
- Attend volunteer meetings
- Provide a year of service in the program, or a minimum of 6 visits annually.
- See additional details in the Volunteer Application Packet.
Upcoming Therapy Dog Classes
- June 4, 18, & 25 Register by May 17
- October 1, 8, 15 & 22 Register by September 9th
If you are interested in volunteering with the Cornell Companions, contact Donna Gatto (315) 736-3394 Ext. 224 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please let us know how it works out for you and your super dog! And send us pictures! Good Luck!