Help Dog Who Almost Died After Eating A Corncob
This is Duke, he was surrendered to the Herkimer Country Humaine Society for one problem and then almost died from another.
Herkimer Country Humaine Society says Duke was surrendered to their shelter after an altercation over food with a small dog he resided with.
It was evident he was underweight at that time. A few days into his stay with us, he became very ill and it was discovered he had a corn cob obstructing his digestive system that he was given by his owners that required emergency surgery to save his life.
Donations are desperately needed towards his surgery and future care before he's found a home where he will be adequately cared for.
He has fortunately gained some weight in the few weeks he has been with us. Thank you so much for supporting Duke’s journey to a new life! Duke is not available for adoption at this time but please watch our page for updates.
You shouldn't feed dogs corn on the cob, but they're scavengers at heart, so if it was stolen from the table or out of the garbage you need to watch for trouble signs like vomiting, straining during defecation, loss of appetite, stomach pain, whimpering, and restlessness. If you see any of these signs, take your dog to a vet immediately.
Corn on the cob is difficult to pass because of its size. Once ingested, the cob gets stuck somewhere within the dog's digestive tract causing a partial or complete intestinal obstruction (like in Duke's case) then emergency surgery is needed for the dog to survive.