Most of you guessed this Utica landmark correctly.

This is an 'Eagle Eye View' of M&T Bank. "The Bank With the Gold Dome." This was first called Savings Bank of Utica, then Partners Trust and now M&T Bank.

Carol from Flicker.com wrote this history of the bank back in 2009: "...It begins with John C. Devereux who left Ireland and arrived in the just named village of Utica in 1802 and opened a general store. In 1806, his younger brother Nicholas joined him. At the time, Utica was at the center of Mohawk River trade and an important transportation point for pioneers moving westward.

NIC Phelps
NIC Phelps
loading...

The brothers built a new brick store on the west side of Bagg's Square in 1814 which was comparatively fireproof, and its strongbox was safe against ordinary theft. They soon began accepting cash, not only for safe keeping but long term saving and they also began investing their depositors' savings and paying them dividends. This was the informal beginning of the Savings Bank of Utica which occurred two years before the formal opening of the county's first bank. It was said to be among the first savings banks in the U.S. After the first section of the Erie Canal was opened from Utica to Rome in 1819 trade flourished and the safekeeping of the worker's money became very important.

Nic Phelps
Nic Phelps
loading...

In 1821 they considered it would be wise to open a formal bank and applied for a charter. The charter was for a bank to be owned by the depositors and managed by a board of trustees. In 1937 the first of the great financial panic swept the country, but the Savings Bank of Utica was able to remain intact. In 1839 a second charter was applied for, and the bank was then located in the offices of Nicholas Devereux on Bleecker Street. About 1852 a new bank was opened at 167 Genesee Street, just south of Bleecker Street. During the Civil War years, in the 1860s, deposits increased and this made larger quarters a necessity. A new building was constructed in early 1870 at the southwest corner of Genesee and Lafayette Streets which had an iron facade painted to resemble marble and it was nicknamed " the Iron Bank". By the end of the 19th-century, the bank again needed more space, so it purchased the former home of Alexander Bryan Johnson and began construction, in 1898, on the building with the gold dome. This gold dome bank is located in downtown Utica on Genesee Street."

Special thanks to drone photographer Nic Phelps of Bleedin Iris Photography.


NEXT: Best Of CNY Via Photos