Bitter Cold Temps And Snow Cause Difficult Travel In CNY
The National Weather Service (NWS) is calling for decreased snow amounts across much of region except Northern Oneida.
...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 AM EST
* WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Additional snow accumulations of 4 to 8 inches, bringing storm totals of 5 to 10 inches. Snowfall rates up to 1 inch per hour are expected this afternoon and evening. Winds gusting as high as 25 mph.
* WHERE...Otsego, Delaware, Sullivan, and Southern Oneida counties.
* WHEN...Until 1 AM EST Wednesday.
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Travel could be very difficult. The hazardous conditions could impact the evening commute. Very cold to even dangerously cold wind chills are expected to begin late tonight and continue through Friday morning. The coldest wind chills will be Wednesday evening through Thursday night.
The heaviest snow will fall Tuesday afternoon and evening with snowfall rates as high as ½” - 1” per hour with the highest amounts east of Interstate 81. The potential for snow totals is around 6-9” in the Winter Storm Warning areas and up to 14” in Northern Oneida. Lesser totals around 2-6” in the Winter Weather Advisory area. Here's what NWS had to say when specifically asked about Utica snow totals.
Bitterly cold air will engulf the entire area late Tuesday night and last through Thursday night. Temperatures will fall into the single digits Tuesday night. Wind chills below zero late Tuesday night into Thursday night with the coldest wind chills Wednesday night…-20 to -30 F.
BRING PETS INSIDE!!!
Winter Weather Preparation:
- Keep your cell phone charged and make sure you know where your backup power supply is.
- Make sure all your flashlights have fresh batteries.
- Fill your gas tank. You can use your car to keep warm and recharge devices.
- Have some food available that you don’t need to cook.
- Download the Eagle App You’ll receive local alerts, weather reports and more with push notifications.