Beware! Holiday Gift Cards Top For Scammers
Gift cards have become the biggest seller for the holidays. I know I love to give gift cards because they are convenient and it gives the recipient the option to buy what they want. Beware though because scammers are targeting gift cards this holiday season.
'Tis the season of the scam especially with gift cards. Here's what to look out for to make sure that the gift cards you buy aren't scamming you out of personal information and money.
According to News 10 ABC, most gift cards are safe and secure but there are some that are trying to get more than the value of the card. There are some important tips to look for when you are buying gift cards.
- Make sure the wrapping on the card has not been tampered with and that the PIN numbers aren't already scratched off.
- Don't scratch the PIN until it is ready to be used if the PIN is hidden.
- If it's a mobile gift card, keep it in an account that requires a password.
- Always keep the receipt and include it if you give it as a gift.
- Check for a sticker, sometimes you will see a sticker over the activation code with another one that, when you load money on the card, it goes directly to the scammer.
- Always purchase the gift card from a trusted source and a well-known retailer or online source.
Use these few tips and it will ensure that your gift card is legit.