Woodstock 50 Invite ‘Locals’ To Open House At Vernon Downs
Organizers of Woodstock 50 has invited the Vernon Downs community to "embrace the spirit of peace and love envisioned for the 50th-anniversary festival."
Is Vernon Downs the last hope for the Woodstock 50?
According to a press release, organizers of Woodstock 50 and Jeffrey Gural, owner of Vernon Downs, have invited the community to an open house to preview a proposal for a 50th Anniversary at the race track. The open house will take place at Vernon Downs at 6:30 p.m. on Monday (7/15) and from 7 a.m. until 1 p.m. on Tuesday (7/16).
Woodstock 50, now a three-day event August 16-18, will present a formal presentation of the Festival to the Town of Vernon Tuesday 7 p.m. at the Vernon Town Hall and is open to the public.
Greg Peck, co-owner of Woodstock 50 says
“The original Woodstock prevailed against all odds because of the determination of the founders and we hope that, with the help of the people of Vernon, history can repeat itself and turn Woodstock 50 into a great American comeback story. We purchased the rights from the founders to put on Woodstock 50 because of our belief in what the Festival stands for. We have put enormous care and thought into our security, safety, traffic and medical plan and are eager to show the officials and residents of Vernon that this Festival will be not only memorable and historic, but peaceful and safe for everyone involved.”
Jeffrey Gural, Owner of Vernon Downs
“This is an opportunity of a lifetime for Vernon Downs and the Town of Vernon to be part of history... We have long dreamed of hosting music festivals at Vernon Downs as a way of shoring up the long-term economic viability of the operation. Woodstock 50 would be the beginning of a tremendous legacy that would help secure jobs today and for future generations.”
If the community agrees to the event:
- Sir Richard Branson's Virgin Group will help with the expedited schedule of the Festival
- There will be an increase in revenue for the local economy.
- The hiring of local residents to help with ticketing, security, logistical support, transportation, set up, break down and clean up.
- The possibility of annual Woodstock 50 events at Vernon Downs.
- A contribution to local non-profit organizations from the proceeds of the Festiva.
- A Woodstock 50 committee of local residents to identify and invite certain local vendors onto the site during the Festival. The committee would also be in charge of managing a VIP lounge for local residents and guests.
- Identify a community project such as a playground or children’s recreational center that Woodstock 50 could leave as a thank you to the people of Vernon.
Promoters say The Official Woodstock 50th Anniversary Festival will bring three days of peace, love, and music back to Upstate New York from Friday, Aug. 16 through Sunday, Aug. 18, at Watkins Glen International.
Applications for a permit to hold Woodstock 50 at Vernon Downs have been denied twice by the town.
Thoughts? Let us know in the comments below.