Winter Storm Upgraded From a Watch to a Warning in CNY
The winter storm moving into central New York has been upgraded from a watch to a warning.
A Winter Storm Warning is in effect from 1pm Monday to 9am Tuesday for Oneida, Onondaga and Madison counties, including the cities of Boonville, Seneca Falls, Auburn, Syracuse, Hamilton, Oneida, Rome, and Utica.
* WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 6 to 9 inches. Ice accumulations also possible.
* WHERE...Northern Oneida, Yates, Seneca, Southern Cayuga, Onondaga, Madison and Southern Oneida counties.
* WHEN...From 1 PM Monday to 10 AM EST Tuesday.
* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult. The hazardous conditions could impact the the Monday evening and Tuesday morning commute.
The snow will begin Monday morning, mixing with rain throughout the day. The heaviest snow is expected Monday night into Tuesday morning across the northern Finger Lakes into the western Mohawk Valley and southern Tug Hill Plateau. Roads will be slippery with possible ice and snow for the Tuesday morning commute.
Following the storm, a cold front is expected to bring near record to record temperatures. Tuesday night we'll be in the single digits with wind chills below zero by Wednesday morning.
Veterans Day: A mix of snow and rain throughout the day. High near 35.
Monday Night: Rain, possibly mixed with snow, becoming all snow after 7pm. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 24. New snow accumulation of around 4 inches.
Tuesday: Snow likely, mainly before 1pm. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 27. New snow accumulation of around 2 inches.
Tuesday Night: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 9.
Wednesday: A chance of snow showers, mainly before 1pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 25.
Wednesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 10.
Thursday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 33.
Take us everywhere you go with our new App. Listen live with all of your favorite shows with fewer commercials. The new app lets you call, message or tweet at us anytime or send us photos and videos. The app also gives you the ability to receive notifications about breaking news, weather alerts, traffic advisories and school closings happening in and around Central New York.
Winter Weather Preparation:
- Keep your cell phone charged and make sure you know where your backup power supply is.
- Make sure all your flashlights have fresh batteries.
- Fill your gas tank. You can use your car to keep warm and recharge devices.
- Have some food available that you don’t need to cook.
- Download theSTATION App. You’ll receive local alerts, weather reports and more with push notifications.