Freezing Rain Causes Winter Weather Advisory In CNY
Ice ice baby. Do you really have to go out?
Spring was in the air but now 'Old Man Winter' is back. The National Weather Service out of Binghamton tells us there's a Winter Weather Advisory in effect from 7 PM tonight for Hamilton, Oneida, Rome, and Utica.
.* WHAT...Freezing rain expected. Total ice accumulations of a
light glaze are expected.
* WHERE...Madison and Southern Oneida Counties.
* WHEN...From 7 AM this morning to 7 PM EST this evening. The best
chance of freezing rain will be late morning into early
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...The ice will result in very slippery
conditions on sidewalks, roads and bridges, including during
the morning commute.
Another area of low pressure will impact the region today into
the early evening with rain and patches of freezing rain.
Patchy light freezing rain is most likely along and east of
Interstate 81 across the higher terrain. More rain will move in
Saturday afternoon continuing into Sunday.
Today: A slight chance of freezing rain before 11 am, then rain. High near 40. Southeast wind 9 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Little or no ice accumulation expected.
Tonight: Showers likely, mainly before 1 am. Cloudy, with a low around 33. South wind 7 to 9 mph becoming west after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Saturday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 44. Northwest wind 5 to 8 mph.
Saturday Night: Rain, mainly after midnight. Low around 35. East wind 5 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
Sunday: Rain before 1 pm, then showers after 1 pm. High near 47. Southeast wind 8 to 17 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.
Keep Up To Date
Take us everywhere you go with our new App. Listen live with all of your favorite shows with fewer commercials. The new app lets you call, message or tweet at us anytime or send us photos and videos. The app also gives you the ability to receive notifications about breaking news, weather alerts, traffic advisories and school closings happening in and around Central New York.
[Information from National Weather Service out of Binghamton]
Winter Weather Preparation:
- Keep your cell phone charged and make sure you know where your backup power supply is.
- Make sure all your flashlights have fresh batteries.
- Fill your gas tank. You can use your car to keep warm and recharge devices.
- Have some food available that you don’t need to cook.
- Download the App. You’ll receive local alerts, weather reports and more with push notifications.