5 Things You’ll Be Homesick About If You Leave Central New York
If you're from central New York and you've left the area for any length of time, whether it be for school, work, family, whatever, there will be times when you will be homesick.
When I left home for the first time, I was very homesick. It seemed all I could think about was central New York - specifically Utica and the things I would miss so much.
Here is a list of 5 things that made me "homesick"
1. Family & Friends: This one is a given. I missed the people that I could see whenever I wanted. When I had a problem or just wanted to talk, it was as easy as a quick drive to their house.
2. Old Neighborhood: When I left the area, I missed the neighborhood that I grew up in and spent most of my life. There were often times when I would see something that would remind me of my old neighborhood.
3. Reminders of Home: I couldn't exactly leave the things that I acquired while I was home, so everything I brought with me was a constant reminder of home. That certainly DOES NOT help the homesickness.
4. Utica Food: Missing food from this area is a good cause of homesickness. Where else in the country can you get chicken riggies, half-moon cookies, tomato pie and of course, Utica greens?
5. Central New York Weather: This may not make every one homesick, but for some reason it did me. I like snow so the winter was pretty tough for me when I lived in Arizona. My homesickness really kicked in around November, knowing that central New York was getting nailed with snow and all we were getting was sun and warm temperatures.