Warm Temperatures Cause A Flood Watch In CNY
The next couple of days could be record breakers, but the warm temperatures could cause flooding along with more ice jams.
A warm front will lift through the region, gradually shifting showers to mainly north of the area, with drier conditions especially by later this afternoon through Wednesday morning. The warm front will usher in near record warmth today through Wednesday. However, a cold front will bring a return of showers late Wednesday into Thursday, along with cooler temperatures.
The National Weather Service (NWS) has issued a flood watch for Northern and Southern Oneida County, including the cities of Utica, Rome, and Boonville, in effect until 1:00 AM Thursday morning, February 22.
* Rainfall of a half inch to one inch has already occurred in Oneida County. A few to several tenths of an inch of additional rain is expected today, especially in Northern Oneida County. Also, very warm temperatures during the next couple of days will cause significant snow-melt where it still exists.
* The combination of rain and snow-melt will cause area streams and rivers to rise.
* Any ice jams will also need to be closely monitored such as Fish Creek from Taberg to Sylvan Beach.
Today: A chance of rain before 3 pm, then a chance of rain after 4 pm. Patchy fog between 1 pm and 2 pm. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 60. Southeast wind 6 to 8 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Tonight: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 55. South wind around 9 mph.
Wednesday: Rain likely, mainly after 3 pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 63. South wind 9 to 16 mph becoming west in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New
precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Wednesday Night: A chance of rain before 1 am, then a slight chance of rain and snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 28. West wind 6 to 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Little or no snow accumulation expected.
Thursday: A chance of snow before 1 pm, then a chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 39. North wind 3 to 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Thursday Night: A slight chance of snow after 1 am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Friday: Snow, freezing rain, and sleet likely before 10 am, then rain, snow, and sleet likely between 10 am and 1 pm, then rain likely after 1 pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 44. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Keep Up To Date
Take us everywhere you go with our new App. Listen live with all of your favorite shows with fewer commercials. The new app lets you call, message or tweet at us anytime or send us photos and videos. The app also gives you the ability to receive notifications about breaking news, weather alerts, traffic advisories and school closings happening in and around Central New York.
Winter Weather Preparation:
- Keep your cell phone charged and make sure you know where your backup power supply is.
- Make sure all your flashlights have fresh batteries.
- Fill your gas tank. You can use your car to keep warm and recharge devices.
- Have some food available that you don’t need to cook.
- Download the App. You’ll receive local alerts, weather reports and more with push notifications.