Tops Closing Central New York Stores Leaving 600 Without Jobs
A local grocery chain is closing ten underperforming stores say hundreds will be left without a job.
Tops Markets are in the midst of financial restructuring to eliminate a large amount of debt and has chosen to file for reorganization under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code on February 21, 2018. As part of the restructuring process, the company has been approved to close ten underperforming stores by the end of November 2018.
Frank Curci, Chief Executive Officer of Tops, says:
"The filing of our Plan moves Tops another step closer to a successful completion of our financial restructuring...We thank our employees for maintaining our high quality of customer service and dedication to Tops, as well as our loyal customers, suppliers and other stakeholders for their support as we progress through this process."
The ten underperforming stores to close are as follows:
- 2120 West Genesee Street, Geddes
- 4141 South Salina Street, Syracuse
- 710 Lake Avenue, Rochester
- 175 N. Winton Rd., Rochester
- 6720 Pittsford/Palmyra Rd., Fairport
- 33 Forgham Street, Lyons
- 381 Hamilton Street, Geneva
- 909 West 1st Street S., Fulton
- 299 S. Main Street, Elmira
- 622 Lake Flower Ave., Saranac Lake
According to the Tops Press Release:
The impacted stores are currently open and continuing to serve customers. Fewer than 600 of the of the Company’s 14,000 associates work at the affected stores and these stores represent less than 4% of Tops overall sales.
FOR NOW, the following Tops stores are expected to remain open in CNY:
- 5 Commons Drive, Rt 28 Cooperstown, NY 13326
- 87 E. State Street Sherrill, NY 13461
- 217 Erie Blvd. West Rome, NY 13440
- 54 E. Main Street Norwich, NY 13815
- Rt. 5 & Oxbow Road Canastota, NY 13032
- 71 Nelson Street Cazenovia, NY 13035
- 800 W. Genesee Street Chittenango, NY 13037
- 119 West Seneca Street Manlius, NY 13104
- 127 Main Street Stamford, NY 12167
- 5351 N. Burdick Street Fayetteville, NY 13066
- 261 Utica Blvd. Boonville, NY 13309
- 9554 Harden Blvd/State Rt 13 Camden, NY 13316
- 4410 E. Genesee Street DeWitt, NY 13214
- 4600 East Genesee St. DeWitt, NY 13214
- 181 Shop City Plaza Syracuse, NY 13206
Tops Markets, LLC is headquartered in Williamsville, NY and operates 169 full-service supermarkets with five additional by franchisees under the Tops Markets banner. Tops employ over 14,000 associates and are a leading full-service grocery retailer in Upstate New York, Northern Pennsylvania, and Vermont. For more information about Tops Markets, visit the company's website at www.topsmarkets.com.