Unfortunately, each year thousands of dogs and cats suffer from accidental ingestion of household poisons. Please see the surprising top 10 items in your home that can kill your pets.

Pets are curious by nature, particularly when it comes to food. They're also very good at begging for whatever we're eating or cooking. Remember they pets can't always eat the same food we do and some food can be toxic and even deadly.

Here are the top 10 DOG toxins according to the Pet Poison Helpline:

  1. Chocolate
  2. Mouse and Rat Poisons
  3. Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen
  4. Xylitol
  5. Vitamin Overdose
  6. Antidepressant Medications
  7. Fertilizers
  8. Grapes and Raisins
  9. Decongestant Medications
  10. Caffeine Pills

Here are the top 10 CAT toxins according to the Pet Poison Helpline:

  1. Lillies
  2. Insecticides
  3. Household Cleaners
  4. Human antidepressant medications
  5. Veterinary and Human NSAIDS
  6. Rodenticides (rat and mouse poison)
  7. Prescription ADD/ADHD medications
  8. Chocolate
  9. Acetaminophen (APAP)
  10. Onions/Chives/Leeks/Shallots

Halloween Tips:

No Sweet Treats
Candy is toxic to pets. Any chocolate is very hazardous for cats and dogs, and sugar-free candies containing artificial sweeteners can cause severe problems. If you suspect your pet has ingested something toxic, please call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 immediately.

Keep Decorations Out of Reach
Your lit jack-o-lantern can cause a fire if your furry friend knocks it over. Curious kittens are especially at risk of getting burned or singed by a candle flame. Pumpkins and decorative corn are considered relatively nontoxic but can but can give them tummy troubles if eaten.

Be Careful with Costumes
Don't force your pet to wear a costume and cause undue stress. If they like wearing doggie clothes, then make sure the outfit won't limit movement or hinder their ability to see, hear, breathe, bark or meow.

Make Your Pet Easily Identifiable
Halloween is a time to make sure their ID is on their collar. With all the trick-or-treat activity they may try to make a quick escape. An ID/microchip will get a lost pet home quicker.

[ASPCAPet Poison Helpline]