The World Was Stunned 38 Years Ago When Elvis Died
38 Years ago the world was stunned with the news that Elvis Presley was dead at 42 years old. Elvis died on August 16, 1977 at Graceland. After being found on the bathroom floor, Elvis was rushed to the hospital where he was officially pronounced dead.
Elvis Presley has been called the most significant cultural icon of the 20th century. The King of Rock and Roll.
Wikipedia says without including album reissues, from 1954 to 1978 Elvis released 102 singles, 30 extended-play singles, 70 albums on RCA Records, four albums on the Pickwick budget label, and five singles on the Sun Records label. He also appeared in a total of 31 feature films (31 scripted roles, plus two concert performance documentaries).
Did Elvis fake his own death?
There are plenty of reports from supermarket tabloids that he's still among us. Here are a few reasons why some fans still believe he's alive. He would be 80 now.
- Elvis's name is spelled wrong on his headstone
- Elvis's current "resting place" is in between his father and his grandmother and not next to his mother where he had adamantly requested.
- Elvis weighed 250 pounds at the time of his death; his death certificate lists him at 170 pounds.
- The original death certificate disappeared
- Elvis' coffin weighed 900 pounds. It's suspected that the coffin contained an air conditioning unit or dry ice to keep a wax body cool.
- Two hours after Elvis' death was announced publicly, a man who reportedly looked remarkably like Elvis purchased a ticket for Buenos Aeries, paid in cash, and used the name John Burrows: the name Elvis had used as an alias several times before.
- His most prized possessions disappeared and were never recovered.
- One month prior to August 1977..., $1,000,000.00 was withdrawn from his personal checking account
- The medical examiner's report says that the body was found in the bathroom in a rigor-mortised condition. The homicide report says that the body was found in the bedroom 'unconscious'.
This is only a few things that contribute to the Elvis mystery. You'll find a lot more at Elvisforever. People still report sightings of Elvis all over the world.
In 2027 we'll know more about the death of Elvis. After it was reported that Codeine, Valium, Morphine and Demerol were a few of the drugs found in his system, his father Vernon Presley had the autopsy report sealed for 50 years.
Upon hearing of Elvis Presley's death back in 1977, some of my co-workers say they had immediate feelings of sadness, shock, and disbelief. Many people remember where they were and what they were doing at the time of the news.
Were you excited to see him at the Utica Memorial Auditorium back in 1977? Do you still have your ticket? Have you ever seen him in concert? Did you ever meet him? If you have any stories about Elvis or remember where and what you were doing when you heard of his death please leave a comment below. We may tell your story on Monday.