Several Movie and TV Projects Set to Shoot In Upstate NY
Upstate New York has become quite popular for movie and TV shoots. In just the past couple months we've been hearing about several projects set to film across Upstate New York and one in particular here in the Mohawk Valley.
Here's what's currently shooting or scheduled to shoot in our part of the state during the next few months.
- Buffalo: "The True Adventures of Wolfboy" A casting call for this film took place on August 22 in Buffalo. Producers were looking for extras for a carnival day scene. Shooting for this film is set for September. It will take place in an undisclosed location. The film will star John Turturro.
- Malone/Plattsburgh/Dannemora: "Escape to Dannemora" This film is related to the 2015 escape of Richard Matt and David Sweat from the Clinton Correctional Facility in Dannemora, NY. Actor Ben Stiller is directing the eight-episode mini-series which will air on Showtime sometime in 2018.
- New Paltz/Little Falls: "A Quiet Place" This supernatural film directed by John Krasinski, who played Jim Halpert on The Office will shoot scenes in the Hudson Valley town of New Paltz and in Little Falls. In early August, Krasinski visited Little Falls to scout out the town as a possible shooting location. His wife, actress Emily Blunt will co-star in the film which is expected to start filming in early fall.
- Rochester: Unnamed Film On Monday, August 28, actor John Lithgow and actress Blythe Danner were in Rochester shooting scenes for a film that is being considered "low budget". The shoot is taking place in Gates, which is outside the city of Rochester. Shooting for the unnamed film is expected to wrap up in about 5 weeks.
Throughout the years, there have been several films shot in Upstate New York. Here are a few of them.
- The Way We Were (1973) - Shot in Ballston Spa and Union College in Schenectady.
- The Other Guys (2010) - Chase scenes for this film were filmed in Albany.
- Ghost Story (1981) - Filmed in Albany and Saratoga Springs.
- Seabiscuit (2003) - Some scenes were shot at Saratoga Racetrack in Saratoga Springs.
- Slapshot (1977) - Game scenes were filmed at several Central New York locations including; Clinton Arena in Clinton, Utica Memorial Auditorium in Utica, and Onondaga County War Memorial in Syracuse.
- The Sterile Cuckoo (1969) - Much of this film was shot at Hamilton College in Clinton and at Sylvan Beach.