Not So Sweet Facts About Sugar
The odds are pretty good that many will binge on candy during Halloween, and it could continue for weeks. If you fit into this category, then you need to keep reading.
Did you know sugar is addictive?. Quitting sugar cold turkey cancan make you sick with flu-like symptoms. It affects the same part of the brain as cocaine and heroin and is eight times as addictive as the drugs. We each consume about 152 pounds of sugar a year. That’s nearly 22 teaspoons every day for every person in America. And our kids consume about 34 teaspoons every day
- Sugar addiction may be genetic. Studies show that those who had genetic changes in a hormone called ghrelin consume more sugar (and alcohol) than those who had no gene variation.
- One 20 oz. Bottle of Coca-Cola has 65 grams of sugar and equals the sugar in five Little Debbie Swiss Rolls.
- A 15.2 oz. Bottle of Minute Maid 100% Apple Juice contains 49 grams of sugar, that's the same as 10 Oreos.
- A 23 oz. bottle of Arizona Green Tea has about 51 grams of sugar, so does 20 Hershey’s Kisses.
- A 16 oz. Can of Monster Energy has the same amount of sugar as 3.5 cups of Frosted Flakes (54 grams).
- A 32 oz. Gatorade bottle has 36 grams of sugar, which is like eating 5 Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.
- A Grande Starbucks Iced Flavored drink has about 28 grams of sugar, which is the same amount of sugar in 2.5 Krispy Kreme donuts.
- Lemons have more sugar than strawberries.
- The only taste humans are born craving is sugar.
[Information from FactRetriever.com]