Fleetwood Mac’s John McVie Returning to Stage
For the first time since one of their founders was diagnosed with cancer earlier this year, Fleetwood Mac will return to the stage with a couple of concerts. The band will say goodbye to an eventful 2013 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas for a public show tonight and a private date on New Year’s Eve.
Back in October, it was announced that Fleetwood Mac were canceling a November tour of Australia and New Zealand because bassist John McVie would be undergoing cancer treatments. Neither the type of cancer nor the chances of a full recovery have been disclosed, but apparently he’s healthy enough to perform.
Speaking to ABC News Radio, singer Stevie Nicks said that getting back onstage will be “really good for John," and that it would help him “get back on the treadmill.” Fleetwood Mac also have a third concert scheduled, another private performance in Las Vegas, on Jan. 8.
While the band’s future remains uncertain in the wake of McVie’s health issues, if they are able to continue, it’s possible their next project will be a reunion of their classic lineup. Christine McVie, who quit the band in 1998, said that she enjoyed sitting in with them during the group's recent stop in London and would be “very delighted” to rejoin if they asked.