Halloween Safety Tips For Pets
These precautions will keep Fido happy and healthy through the Halloween season.
No Sweet Treats
Scruffy or Fluffy should not eat Halloween treats. Candy is toxic to pets. Any chocolate is very hazardous for cats and dogs, and sugar-free candies containing artificial sweeteners can cause severe problems. If you suspect your pet has ingested something toxic, please call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 immediately.
Keep Decorations Out of Reach
Your lit jack-o-lantern masterpiece can cause a fire if your furry friend knocks it over. Curious kittens are especially at risk of getting burned or singed by a candle flame. Pumpkins and decorative corn are considered relatively nontoxic but can but can give them tummy troubles if eaten.
Be Careful with Costumes
Don't force your pet to wear a costume and cause undue stress. If they like wearing doggie clothes, then make sure the outfit won't limit movement or hinder their ability to see, hear, breathe, bark or meow.
Make Your Pet Easily Identifiable
Halloween is a time to make sure their ID is on their collar. With all the trick-or-treat activity they may try to make a quick escape. An ID/microchip will get a lost pet home quicker.
[Information from ASPCA]