Essay Contest for Hunting and Trapping Regulations Guide
How would you like to be published in the Hunting and Trapping Regulations Guide?
The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) is asking for stories about memorable experiences when introducing a new person to hunting or trapping. Are you a dad who taught your child to trap or hunt? Then this is for you.
Essays can be submitted in one of three categories:
- Junior Youth Hunters/Trappers - currently in grade 6 through 8
- Senior Youth Hunters/Trappers - currently in grade 9 through 12
- Adult Hunters/Trappers - ages 18 and older
DEC will select the best essay in each category. Winners' essays will appear in the 2018-19 Hunting and Trapping Regulations Guide, which is read by more than 500,000 people each year. The winners will each receive a $50 gift certificate to Cabela's.
- Essays should be non-fiction, original material (not previously published), and told from a first-person perspective.
- 500 words or less.
- Submit essays and accompanying photo(s) and submission forms electronically (e.g., PDF or Word document) to email@example.com, subject line:
- Essay Contest. Submissions with photos and submission forms can also be submitted in writing to: Game Management, Attn: Essay Contest, 625 Broadway, Albany, NY 12233-4754.
- If possible, include one to two photos of the author and/or subjects of the essay (e.g., friends, family) in the appropriate context (e.g., enjoying the outdoors).
- Photos should be high-resolution, at least 1 MB in size. Please include the name of the photographer to receive credit.
- If under age 18, essay and accompanying photo(s) must include permission for use from a parent or legal guardian (see link below).
- Additional information and a submission form is available on DEC's website or by calling (518) 402-8883.
Submissions must be postmarked by March 15, 2018. Good Luck!