‘Cheesy Deals’ and ‘Fun Facts’ For National Pizza Day February 9
National Pizza Day is celebrated on February 9th. No matter how you like your pizza, it's always an American favorite.
Pizza is one of the most universally loved foods. We love classic toppings like pepperoni, sausage, onions, but really, anything goes on pizza.
Top 5 pizza sales days are:
- Super Bowl Sunday
- New Year's Eve
- The night before Thanksgiving,
- New Year's Day
Here are some interesting facts about pizza:
- Americans eat approximately 100 acres of pizza a day or about 350 slices per second.
- Pepperoni is the most popular pizza at 36% of all pies ordered.
- Over 3 billion pizzas are sold in the USA each year. Add another 1 billion on frozen pizzas
- 17% of all US Restaurants are pizzerias.
- Antica Pizzeria, the first Pizzeria, opened in Naples, Italy, in 1738.
- Gennaro Lombardi, the first Pizzeria in the United States, opened in 1895 in New York City.
- Americans consume on average 23 pounds of pizza per person each year.
- 61% of Americans prefer thin crust pizza
- The first deep dish pizzas were created in 1943 in Chicago
- 40% of Americans eat pizza at least once a wee
- On average, Americans consume 47 slices of pizza each year.
- The highest-grossing single-unit independent pizzeria in the nation, Moose's Tooth Pub and Pizzeria, is in Anchorage, Alaska. Its annual sales are approximately $6 million.
- 94 percent of Americans eat pizza regularly
- Kids ages 3 to 11 prefer pizza over all other food groups for lunch and dinner.
- Women are twice as likely as men to order vegetables on their pizza
- Saturday night is the most popular night to eat pizza
- 36% of people consider pizza the perfect breakfast
- Eating pizza once a week can reduce the risk of esophageal cancer
- About 3 billion pizzas are sold annually in the U.S.
- Mozzarella cheese accounts for nearly 80 percent of Italian cheese production in the United States.
- The most popular pizza size in the U.S. today is 14 inches in diameter.
Take advantage of a pizza special in honor of National Pizza Day.
Little Caesars: Upgrade form a classic to a Most Cheese and Most Pepperoni pizza for $1.
Papa John's: Large or pan 2-topping Pizza carryout special for $7.99 or duel layer pepperoni pizza for $10.
Pizza Hut: Get two medium 2-topping pizzas for $5.99, plus Hut Rewards members get 30 percent off menu-priced pizzas.
*Did we miss a deal? Let us know, and we'll add it to the list.
Don't forget to search us out on Facebook, 961theeagle, and answer our question. If today was your last day in Utica, where would you get your pizza? Please leave your answer in the comments. We're looking for 'Utica's most popular pizza joint.