Please don't give the poor dog a bone. It's time to rethink chew toys and doggie treats as we could be killing them with kindness. 

The FDA has received about 68 reports of pet illnesses related to "bone treats,” which differ from uncooked butcher-type bones because they are processed and packaged for sale as dog treats. A variety of treats for dogs including descriptions such as  “Ham Bones,” “Pork Femur Bones,” “Rib Bones,” and “Smokey Knuckle Bones” are involved.

The following illnesses have been reported to FDA by owners and veterinarians in dogs that have eaten bone treats:

    • Gastrointestinal obstruction (blockage of the digestive tract)
    • Choking
    • Cuts and wounds in the mouth or on the tonsils
    • Vomiting
    • Diarrhea
    • Bleeding from the rectum
    • Death. Approximately fifteen dogs have died after eating a bone treat.

Reports sent in by pet owners and veterinarians, involved about 90 dogs (some reports included more than one dog). In addition, FDA received seven reports of product problems, such as moldy-appearing bones, or bone treats splintering when chewed by the pet.

Your pets should always be supervised while eating any chew toy or treat. Follow the link to report a problem with pet food or treats to the FDA.

Bonus Video: