Are These Phrases Old Yet?
Yes we have all heard the most popular phrases and we’re even guilty of using them even after we complain at how much people overuse them. Here are a few examples of overused phrases that I came up with. Give me some feedback, let me know which ones I missed.
Wardrobe malfunction – made popular by the infamous Janet Jackson/Super Bowl Event
- Status update – referring to Facebook, of course.
- Tweeted (as in “I just tweeted about that”)
- “Cougar” to describe any attractive woman over the age of 35, who happens to be single, or any woman dating a man more than three years her junior.
- The “clever” blending of two words to create one era-appropriate word, like “Staycation,” “bromance,” and “Brangelina.”
- Date Night
- Getting anything “on,” like “getting my drink on.” “getting my tan on”, etc.
- All IM- and text-inspired abbreviations: OMG, TMI, WTF, LMAO, ZOMG, and the granddaddy of them all, LOL.
- The shortening of words — which we are definitely guilty of — like “whatevs,” “obvi,” and “totes.”
10. That’s what she said. - Michael Scott is the only one that I know of that can make this funny.
11. Seriously. Seriously? Seriously.
12. That’s hot! Thanks Paris Hilton
13. Wuzzup! Actually this one was brought back thanks to the Annoying Orange series.
14. Un/Friended (as in I friended/unfriended him on Facebook)
15. Dude! (as an exclamation or a greeting)
16. There’s an app for that. – Ah, the smartphone, gotta love’m.
17. Fail – meaning your attempt at something did not go quite like planned. These are normally caught on video or picture and posted online somewhere for all to enjoy.