7-Year-Old Girl Dead Following a House Fire In Yorkville
A 7-year-old girl is dead following a house fire in the Village of Yorkville.
According to Yorkville Fire Chief Joe Morosco, the call came in at approximately 9:39 p.m. on Thursday.
Upon arrival to the residence at 95 Campbell Ave, fire crews observed flames coming from the second floor, front windows. A frozen hydrant held them up slightly upon arrival.
There were two occupants in the home at the time of the blaze. A 7-year-old girl was transported to St. Luke's Hospital where she has succumbed to her injuries and her mother has been airlifted to Upstate Medical in Syracuse and she's in critical condition.
As of this morning Chief Morosco says the fire is under control and crews have dumped a large amount of rock salt in the area from the hose water.
New York State Fire was on scene assisting in the investigation, which is still ongoing. We will provide more details as they become available.
UPDATED 1:36 p.m. - Yorkville Police have identified the victims as 7-year old Taylor Mishlanie and 41-year old Heather Mishlanie.
UPDATED 3:43 p.m.- Taylor Mishlanie was a student at Marcy Elementary School.
Whitesboro School District Superintendent Brian Bellair released the following statement to school community:
It is with a heavy heart that I inform you about the passing of a 7-year-old Marcy Elementary student from a house fire on Thursday night, January 18, on Campbell Avenue in Yorkville. Our entire school community is shocked and saddened by this tragic news.
Please know that our crisis team has been mobilized, and that counseling is available for any student or staff member by contacting any member of our Pupil Personnel Services or Administrative staff.
Our thoughts and prayers are with the families, friends, students and staff impacted by this tragedy.