5 Facts You May Not Know About St. Patrick’s Day
Get ready to celebrate! St. Patrick's Day is coming. A day where almost everyone is Irish. Here are a few interesting facts you may not be aware of.
1. Blue not green is the color originally associated with St. Patrick's Day. The emphasis on green is thought to be linked to " wearing the green ", a symbol from the 18th century.
2. Guinness is a favorite among Irish Brews. On any given day 5.5 million pints of Guinness are consumed around the world. However on St. Patrick's Day consumption more than doubles to nearly 13 million pints.
3. Up until the 1970s, all the pubs in Ireland were closed on St Patrick's Day. The only venue selling alcoholic beverages would be the annual dog show.
4. Since 1962, tons of green dye are tipped into the Chicago River. Because of environmental reasons the quantity has greatly reduced.
5. According to legend, on the day of judgement, while Christ judges all other nations , St. Patrick will be the judge of the Irish.